The official start of the Holiday shopping season is about four weeks away, and online retailers should strongly consider starting or growing their advertising on Bing Shopping.  Maybe you haven’t had time to start a new advertising project?  Or, maybe you started a small Bing Shopping campaign of your best sellers?  However, now is the time to get serious about Bing Shopping.  Many online retailers are seeing higher than expected traffic and sales, and the resulting ROI is often much higher than Google Shopping.  Here are three reasons why you should start or grow your Bing Shopping campaigns.

Bing and Yahoo have 32.8% Market Share

Over the years, many have overlooked Bing, but the reality is that Bing is growing.  In fact, according to comScore, Bing has 20.1% and Yahoo has 12.7% market share respectively.  Which means the combined ad network of Bing and Yahoo, a.k.a. the Yahoo! Bing Network, has 32.8% market versus Googles 64.4% market share.  Market share is great, but the bigger question to ask your self is…”how do my target customers find my products and how do they buy?”  For many eCommerce site, customers browse and discover on mobile and then buy later on desktop.  In fact, according to Criteo’s Q2 Mobile Commerce Report, cross-device transactions account for 40 percent of all eCommerce transactions.   With Google no longer being the default search engine for iPhones and Firefox, this means that many more consumers are finding and browsing products on the Yahoo! Bing Network.

Higher ROI…thanks Bing Shopping!

Bing Product Ads came out of beta out of beta about 18 months ago.  Since then, Bing has been huge improvements for both the advertiser and consumer, including the launch of Bing Shopping in about six months ago.  In an effort to avoid confusing those that not familiar with Bing, Bing Shopping is essentially an easier way to manage Bing Product Ads.  Bing Shopping shows on both Bing and Yahoo search results page.  Within the announcement of Bing Shopping, we saw a rush of eCommerce companies wanting to launch Bing Shopping campaigns.  Since launching these campaigns, we are generally seeing higher than expected ROIs due to higher than expected conversion rates.  In some cases, ROIs are two to three times higher than Google Shopping campaigns.  To be fair, many of these campaigns started with best sellers and we are comparing them to relatively mature Google Shopping campaigns.  However, others seem to be observing similar results, including GoDataFeed.com, which was quoted as saying they observed conversion rates ranging from 2% to 4% with higher ROI than Google Shopping.  GoDataFeed.com believes it is due to more real estate on the search engine results page and lower cost per clicks.  However, we believe it could be due to the fact that Bing and Yahoo do not have the “Shop for More” feature.  Google Shopping gives shoppers the ability to click on the Shopping or “Shop for More” links to open page with many, many products that show price for all retailers advertising that product.  Bing and Yahoo only show eight products…that is it.  See below images.  We believe this could lead to higher conversion rate, while can lead to higher ROI.

More Google Shopping = More Organic Traffic

Getting strong ROI on paid traffic is great, but it is even better when you also see a 300%+ increase in organic traffic that leads to 135% to 175% increase in transactions.   While other clients experiences an increase in organic traffic, this clothing and shoe retailer had a higher than expected increase.  We launched their Bing Shopping campaign in April of this year.   The blow charts show the increase in sessions and transactions from Bing CPC traffic (Bing Shopping), Bing organic traffic, and Yahoo organic traffic.  

Bing Organic - pre vs post launch

Bing Organic - pre vs post launch

Yahoo Organic - pre vs post launch

Yahoo Organic - pre vs post launch

Now is the time to start or grow your Bing Shopping campaign.  The holiday shopping season will be here and gone before you know it, and Bing Shopping can help you make season a more profitable season.   If you have any questions or need help optimizing your Bing Shopping campaign, give us a call.  We are here to help.  Happy Holidays and Happy Advertising!